Monday, December 18, 2006

Why do I feel the need to apologise for my age?

Woman [patronising, even doing that bending-forward-slightly thing, just to let you know that you're younger and therefore more inferior to her]: Are you over 18, ducky?
Me [slightly confused at being spoken to when on my way to Wilkinsons to buy chocolate oranges and candles]: Erm, no, sorry...
Woman [eyeing up next victim]: Alright, lovie.


I always do that. 'No, I'm not 18, you can't sell me your insurance/healthcare/double-glazed-windows, I'm so terribly sorry...'

I have decided that being under 18 is a GOOD thing BECAUSE you can't sell me your useless crap.

Oh, one time I didn't apologise for my age was on the train on Friday. This guy (age approx. 38) looked my up and down (I was looking STUNNING, I do admit) and asked me how old I was. I looked at him and retorted, "If you have to ask, you shouldn't be thinking about it."

One up to me.

5 Comments:

At 18 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I would like to live over there, so I can call people "Ducky".

It is my dream.

 
At 19 December, 2006, Blogger Prometheus said...

Amazing comeback. Time 'comeback of the year'.

 
At 19 December, 2006, Blogger eriu said...

Haha -- they only do it in Derbyshire. You should come and live up here! You can stay in my house hehehehe. Oh oh, I live near Sherwood Forest! That's where Robin Hood lives, which is the most awesome thing ever!

Prommy -- thankies! Do I get to wear a rosette for being a winner?

 
At 23 December, 2006, Blogger MC said...

My grandma is from Lincoln. ;)

*admits he would probably look you up and down on a train as well*

 
At 23 December, 2006, Blogger eriu said...

Haha, thanks MC <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home