Saturday, January 06, 2007

Star-cross'd cultures...

I think I experienced what trying to converse with someone who speaks another language was like today.

Firstly, today I went into one of the posh Oxfam shops and found some amaaazing classic literature books. All leather-bound and old-looking. They had a whole selection of Dickens, but even though I don't like him too much, it seemed such a shame to waste them (especially for 99p BOGOF!) that I had to buy a couple for my friend who does. I also bought Shakespeare's Tragedies (I have them all anyway, it's just a nicer copy... It'll look good on my shelf), H.G Wells 'The Time Machine' and Percy Shelly & Hopkins poetry. All for £2.98 (US Translation: $50000).

On the train home I was reading Shelley's 'to the Skylark', or rather, rereading it, because I didn't quite understand it the first time round, but it sounded pretty. And some MORON with an mp3 player on their phone started playing 'Fergalicious'(?) and some other stupid rap songs. I swear I didn't understand half the words that were said, and it just distracted me from reading the poetry. One of the best poets in history, a GENIUS and perfect lyricist. I felt slightly blasphemist and guilty that my generation formed such stupid music. Argh.

Talk about mixed cultures.

I apologise for the Shakespeare references recently, I have been reading quite a lot of it. Even though reading a play is a bit like reading music, it doesn't really make sense until it's actually played, I still like the language and stuff. I wish I could go to the theatre more often.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 07 January, 2007, Blogger eriu said...

Knock, Knock jokes are funny... I like word play... I just despise a lot of rap songs.

Admittedly, I do like some. Ones where you can hear the words, and it's not just 'Smack that' or whatever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home